Monday, November 24, 2008

The Over-simplified Wardrobe

As a self-proclaimed OS (over-simplifier), I have come up with an idea of wardrobing. This is 100% not scientific. I am not a fashionistic person. I have no real experience in wardrobing except a phD in google wardrobing searches. So without further ado, here is my wardrobe theory.

• It contains 4 capsules.
• Each capsule contains a set of clothing that will coordinate with each other. I do not subscribe to the belief that every top must match every bottom or vise versa. I do believe that each piece should be able to be worn with at least 3 things. No orphan separates are allowed. Clearly a dress doesn't have to match much except a jacket.
• Each capsule consists of: 9 tops (3 of which are slightly dressier), 5 bottoms, a pair of jeans, 2 dress pants, 2 skirts, a day dress, a dressier than day dress, a jacket, a pair of everyday shoes, a pair of dressy shoes, a handbag, 2 necklaces, 2 earrings, and 1 bracelet.
• Each capsule will be worn for 6 months. With at least one capsule changing every 3 months. So, at any given time, you will have 2 capsules to choose clothes from.
• Capsule #1 - Winter into Spring (warmest clothes I own) worn from November until April
• Capsule #2 - Spring into Summer worn from February until July
• Capsule #3 - Summer into Fall (coolest clothes I own) worn from May to October
• Capsule #4 - Fall into Winter worn August to January
• Specialty Capsule - This isn't really a capsule at all be a collection of a few extra items that every wardrobe isn't complete without - a little black dress, a trench coat, and a swimsuit.
• Every capsule could contain more items, but must contain the basic items. I really don't expect to only have 2 pairs of shoes to wear for everyday. But, that would be the minimum that I would need.

Much thought went into this. I took into consideration that most days are spent at home with the kids (from playing in the floor to cooking dinner to riding bikes to scrubbing bathtubs). I go to church a minimum of 2 times per week. Last, I will go on dates, family get togethers, mom's night out, or other low key social events.

The reason behind the added pair of jeans separate from my other bottoms is that in the dead of summer I will not be wearing jeans every day. But, it would be nice to keep a pair of jeans for an evening out or a morning bible study. Also, I separated dress pants out because I would wear dress pants on a date, but not necessarily during the week. This set of clothing works for me. You could change it to meet your needs.

The idea is that if you wear everything in your capsule in a given week that you only have to wear it every other week because you have 2 capsule available at all times. So, in theory you should only have to wear a top 13 times per year (each capsule is worn for 26 weeks - each capsule only needs to fill half of that because of the other capsule - so that leaves only 13 weeks). If you get creative, you will always have something fresh to wear - Year Round!

No comments: