Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Diapering

I am not an expert at child raising nor do I claim to have the most knowledge about being a parent.  I have two kids, and I have learned a few things that have really worked for me (any many more that didn't).  These are just my experiences and my recommendations.  I hope that somehow and someway this could help a fellow mother in the trenches.  After all, we mother's should really help each other out.  This is one LARGE task!!

This is part one of my nursery break down.  You can read all about the "big list" here for more information.


I am going to start with diapering as it is the single thing that you will do more than any other for your baby - change their diaper.  My diapering list included diapers, wipes, wipe warmer, large diaper bag, small diaper bag, changing mat, and hand sanitizer.  Let me say a few things, and then I will dive right in.  I will stock up my diaper bags with these supplies as I get them.  Both diaper bags will include diapers, a small container of wipes, a changing mat, and a take along hand sanitizer.  I will of course put other stuff in there, but I am just talking about diapering at the moment.

Diapers - This is an intimate decision for each family.  My sister-in-law used the cheap generic diapers with all three of her kids.  She had a lot of success with them and swore by them.  I didn't make it through the afternoon with them.  For me, it was well worth the extra money.  A good friend of mine used cloth diapers with her 3rd.  One morning at her house seeing all the work involved, and I was sold.  I wouldn't use them unless my life depended upon it.  





We have used Pampers Swaddlers with our two children and intend on using them with our third.  Something better may have come out since numero dos was a diaper wearer.  I had such incredible luck with them that I couldn't imagine anything else.  We would try other brands or cheaper brands just to see.  We never had the leakage or blow out problems we did with some of the others.  (Your mileage and children's bodily elimination my vary.  This is merely my experience.)  The thing I liked about them the most is how incredibly soft they were.  I have sensitive skin, and it is important to me that things I put on my kids would be comfy and as non-irritative as possible.  So, the decision wasn't really a decision at all.  



Wipes - I bought a box of the Pampers Sensitive Skin wipes to start off with.  But, I will be honest here.  I only purchased them for my newborn because those little guys are so super brand new.  Maybe it is mental.  But, once those are gone and my baby has some days on earth behind him, I will switch.  You may be wondering why the switch.  Well . . . because those soft, sensitive wipes don't "wipe" as good as the others do.  And when you are wiping a BM, it is imperative to have something you can use with the best success.  When the initial super soft wipes are all used, I will switch to the Huggies Wipes that I can get at Sam's Club.  I am not sure if it is the "best" deal in town, but I am not buying wipes every other day.  And with a little one in toe, that is a great reason to purchase in bulk.  

I mentioned how I preferred one wipe over the other.  I find that the wipes that are smooth (regardless of the brand) just smear everything around.  If you get one that has a little quilting look, it does a better job at cleaning without smearing.  Maybe this is me and I need a little smooth wipe usage 101.  Yes, the smooth ones are probably a bit more comfy on the backside of a very sensitive area.  The other wipes are certainly not like using  a Brillo pad.  Ok, slight exaggeration, but ability to clean quick and efficiently is more important in this case than comfort.  



Wipe Warmer - Not much to mention here.  Except that I own one and think it is a great investment.  We used ours all the way up to potty training.  I don't know if one brand will work better than others.  All I know is that we got ours at Target over 8 years ago, and it is still going strong.

Diaper Bags - I am a utilitarian.  I will often chose convenience over style or fashion.  Ok, I almost always choose use over look.  That was certainly true for this purchase.  For both of my diaper bags, I chose Eddie Bauer bags from Babies R Us.  My husband is a very hands on dad.  So this type of diaper bag fits really well in our family.  These bags are also so easy to clean.  I bought two different sizes.  I have a large one and a smaller one.  



The large diaper bag will be used a lot in the beginning.  When you need to pack so many different things, it is handy to keep it all in one great big bag.  All newborns need blankets which can be bulky.  I like to keep a couple of changes of clothes because you never know.  Ok, I will get right to it.  I overpack for my wee one in the beginning.  You never know when you will need something.  And who can guess when engorgement will attack?  So, I always have extra breast pads in the bag.  I also carry my manual breast pump as well.  Which means I will also have a bottle with me or something to store the milk in.  You get the idea.  I pack a lot.  As my baby gets older, I will only use this bag for long days or overnight trips.  



The smaller bag is my go to bag everyday.  I will most likely wear this one out.  It is big enough to carry all the essentials without being so big it is a nuisance to carry.  I will typically carry mostly diapering items with me in this bag.  I may have a feeding item and a change of clothes depending on the outing.  As my infant becomes a baby and then a toddler, there is still plenty of room for snacks, toys, and other items if needed.  

Changing Mats - These are the mats that you can reuse (or you can get the disposables if it suits you).  You put them down before laying baby down in order to change their diaper.  I have a hard time with just plopping my infant down on a public changing table.  Maybe I have germophobia.  It is also nice to have when a conventional changing table cannot be found and you have to use a make shift area to change a diaper.  

Hand Sanitizer - Maybe this is just me.  But when I have a baby in my arms, it is super hard to wash my hands appropriately afterward.  I keep a small container in all of my diaper bags for use on the go.  I will also keep a bottle next to the changing table at home.  It keeps me sanitary without having to run to the bathroom to wash after each diaper change.  This is a great product to have around for these types of cases.  I always think a good hand washing with soap and water is the best way to go, but that isn't always easily accomplished with a little one in toe.  Again, I am not brand specific.  I will use whatever I get my hands on first.  I like the little ones that you can get at Bath and Body Works.  They smell so nice.  I also really like the kind with the aloe in it.  As I said, I am not too choosy.  


No comments: