Friday, January 09, 2015

Give a Soccer Ball

I don't know if you have heard about Operation Christmas Child. It is a really cool ministry started by Franklin Graham to give out gift boxes to children around the world. In a nut shell, you pack a shoe box full of goodies, and they give it to a kid somewhere in the world.  If you don't know about it or want to know more, please check out Samaritan's Purse which is the parent ministry of Operation Christmas Child. 

We have participated several years in various ways. The past two years we have really stepped up our commitment. I have such a great time seeking out things all year long to fill our boxes. I though about sharing things that I have found that would be great things to include in your boxes. I know I am always looking for inspiration or wondering what others put in their boxes. So hopefully, all year long I can share what we found that could inspire you to pack a shoe box (or 10 😄). 


Two of our kids love and play soccer. I am learning to love it. I never realized how popular soccer was in the world. Because here in the United States, it really is not one of our top sports. Here football (the American version) is probably the biggest sport followed by basketball or baseball.  But in the eye of the world, soccer is THE sport.  

I wanted to bless our kids with a soccer ball. In reading about this past year's World Cup in Brazil, it seems as if kids will use anything as a soccer ball.  But soccer balls don't exactly fit into a shoebox. At least not a regular sized ball. I always knew I could deflate them, but honestly how was a kid supposed to air it up?

One day in Dollar Tree, I found these. 



I picked up two so that each of my kids could put one in their soccer bag. One day at the field watching my son air his ball up, it hit me. I could get a pump to go with each soccer ball!  Now my shoe box kids could have a real, full size soccer ball. 

Here is what I did. I found these soccer balls for $4. 


I put a needle in the valve in order to let the air out. 


Push all the air out while keeping the ball shaped. 


Fold the soccer ball. It is pretty much folded into thirds at this point. I folded the bottom flap up and the top flap over that. 


Carefully, open it up and fold in the pointed ends. 


This is how both ends look folded in. 


Refold the ball back into the thirds again leaving the ends tucked in. Then place it in a plastic bag in order to keep it folded and small. I used a quart zip loc bag for reference. 


I put the ball and pump into the box and some lucky kids will hopefully be super excited when they get to use their new soccer ball. 

I spent $5 total on this. In my opinion, this is a great item and way to add something so many kids in all parts of the world would love. 



3 comments:

Robin said...

Thank you for sharing this post...I can't tell you how much it's helped me! I had wanted to include a soccer ball in my OCC boxes in previous years, but did not know how to deflate/pack them properly. I've purchased 4 balls to go in 2016 boxes thanks to your post!!

Unknown said...

Where did you find your soccer ball?

cropper423 said...

We ordered full size soccer balls from Western Star Balls. They have sets of deflated Ball, Pump & needle for $6 or $7. They run a special in the fall especially for OCC. They have other items to purchase for OCC boxes as well!😊